It has been decided to conduct educational activities in the following manner during the week from 20.06.2022 to 24.06.2022 based on the information presented in the discussion conducted online on 18.06.2022 by the officers of the Ministry of Education with the provincial education officers.
The views obtained from the principals and divisional and zonal directors of education in the provinces through the provincial directors of education were considered in taking these decisions.
- Permission was granted to the provincial education officers to start and continue the regional schools with a lower number of students since the transport difficulties are not affecting the students, teachers and principals of those schools.
- And also, the permission was given to the principals to take suitable measures after having discussions with the Zonal Director of Education if there is a possibility to conduct the school in consideration with the number of students and teachers who cannot come to the school.
- Even if the school is conducted and some students still cannot participate, online method can be used for those students if the facilities are available for that purpose.
- It was decided not to conduct the schools in the Colombo zone and in nearby cities and the school in the main cities in other provinces within this week. The provincial education offices including the Western Province were given the permission to take suitable measures regarding the schools situated outside of main cities.
- Public Utilities Commission has agreed not to cut the electricity from 08.00 am till 01.00 pm to facilitate the online teaching during the week days.
The Ministry of Education admires the voluntary service rendered by the teachers and principals during this period and the provincial education officers have also been further instructed to consider it in the same way. The decision about the week starting from 27th June will be issued after the discussion with provincial education officers scheduled for next Saturday 25.06.2022 in order to analyze drawing the attention to what is happening within this week.